- Fleming’s has some new menu items. They now feature a Steakhouse Cobb Salad entrée (with your choice of either lobster or filet mignon), a Seared New Bedford Scallops entrée (finished with a meyer lemon oil-honey glaze), and a Shrimp Cocktail appetizer.
- The Food Experiments, a series of amateur cook-offs launched in Brooklyn, is coming to Washington DC with “The Taco Experiment.” This will take place at the Rock N Roll Hotel on May 15th from 12-4PM. Check the website for more information – this sounds like a GREAT time!
- A new certified organic spirit called ROOT has just launched in the DC/Baltimore Area. It’s inspired by an 18th century Pennsylvania folk recipe that evolved into Birch/Root Beer. ROOT is available at your local liquor stores (like The Wine Source), and if not – tell them to order it! And here’s a recipe to use it in:
- ROOT Julep
3 sprigs fresh mint
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
2 ounces ROOT
1. Muddle 2 mint sprigs, the water, and the sugar in a highball/collins glass/silver julep cup
2. Fill the glass with crushed ice, and pour in the ROOT
3. Garnish with the remaining mint sprig
- The Don Pablo’s in White Marsh has received the “Restaurant of the Year” award for 2010 from their parent company, Rita Restaurant Corp. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve eaten at a Don Pablo’s – but I’m happy for them for this recognition!
- Morton’s Steakhouse is celebrating Mother’s Day on May 8th with a special Mother’s Day menu for $59 per person (not including beverages, tax or tip). The menu includes a choice of salad, entrée, side dish and dessert and will be open from 2-9pm to accommodate their patrons! Their a la carte dinner menu will also be available.
- The next day, on May 9th, Morton's is hosting a Celebrity Server Fundraiser event with Matt Birk from the Ravens to benefit his HIKE Foundation. Tickets are $250 per person (include tax, tip and valet) for a 4-course menu and a silent and live auction featuring Ravens memorabilia.
- The next cooking class in Phillips' Cook, Crack & Eat series is The Freshest Catch on May 7th. Learn all about fresh fish and how to select, clean and prepare it! The cost is $50 per person and includes the chef demo, wine, lunch and a swag bag to go.
- Freshii, a restaurant that features nutritious and sustainably grown ingredients (a concept that seems eerily familiar to those of us watching America’s Next Great Restaurant!) is coming to Baltimore in Charles Village and Downtown. Customers can customize their own meals whether they want salads, wraps, rice bowls, yogurts or soups! I can’t wait to check this place out!
- Have you heard of Chef Mac’s and All That Blues? It’s a relatively new BYOB restaurant in Hamilton and on Fridays and Saturdays they have live blues and jazz with a $25 buffet!