Picture from here
As mentioned, this has now become my favorite dessert for the strawberry season. I think it would be delicious with other berries as well, especially raspberries!!!!!!!!! YUM! LOVE this.
adapted from here
1.5 lbs of strawberries, hulled and sliced into thick chunks
2 tsp of pomegranate juice
A few tablespoons of sugar
1 pint whipping cream
17 (or more – up to you!) Trader Joe's Vanilla Meringues, or any other smallish (2") meringues
- Toss the strawberries in the sugar and pomegranate juice and set them aside to macerate for at least one hour, up to eight hours.
- Using your Kitchen Aid mixer (if you have one), whip the cream until it starts to thicken. You don't want to whip it until it is stiff (because then it will be butter!)--it should hold soft peaks when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
- Crush the meringues into a bowl (I crushed them in a freezer bag with a rolling pin), making sure to have some chunks and some fine powder.
- Right before serving, fold the berries (with all their delicious juice) and meringue gently into the whipped cream with a few light strokes. You don't want to deflate the cream.
- If you want to be fancy, you can serve it in bowls or pretty stemmed glasses, garnishing the top with a couple of reserved berries. I just served it in one big bowl without any garnish – it looks messy and delicious!