Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pitango Gelato, Fells Point

Finally! I finally went to the heavily talked about gelateria (did I make that up?) in Fells Point. Located right on Broadway, it’s in a pretty fabulous location- and I’m not surprised that it’s doing so well ever since it opened a couple of years ago. People also love it because it uses organic ingredients, local ingredients, and just really good quality ingredients for every single one of their flavors.

I excitedly ordered a regular sized cup filled with half strawberry sorbet and half Madagascar Bourbon vanilla. The sorbet was EXCELLENT. The strawberries came from Pennsylvania and it really did taste fresh! It was a thick sorbet, not at all runny or over-icey. The vanilla itself was mild and pleasant. Don’t get confused about the name like I did, Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is a type of vanilla and it does not taste like the liquor! The combination of both the sorbet and gelato was incredibly refreshing for a hot summer’s day.

I also tried the spicy chocolate that’s made with red pepper flakes- it was definitely novel, but I’m not sure how much of that I would be able to take. The chocolate hazelnut was very good, but very rich, in fact much of their chocolate gelato was very rich- and I wasn’t in the mood for that type of dessert while walking around in the heat.

Overall, I was very impressed. The only thing that was hard to swallow was the price- $4.75 for a regular cup. That’s pretty steep if you ask me. However, I do understand that the price is indicative of the quality of ingredients. I would definitely go back again, but I say this only because I do not frequent Fells Point very often, and therefore wouldn’t mind the splurge.

Pitango Gelato
802 S Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231
(410) 702-5828
Open Weekdays 12pm-11pm; Weekends 11am-11pm

Pitango Gelato on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin