Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2009

Weekend Trip: Ohioplye, PA



Fallingwater aka Gorgeouswater


I haven't done one of these in a while, but I think since the economy is what it is, weekend trips are the best (and most economical) way to have a little slice of vacation-- so I'll try to keep up!

Well, a couple of months ago I planned a group camping trip to Ohiopyle, PA to go and see Fallingwater house designed by the famous American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. Even if you aren't a fan of architecture, I think anyone can truly appreciate the beauty of the house and its location. I won't go into any more detail than that since this is a food blog- but I do urge you to check the website out.

The drive (from the Timonium area) takes about 3.5hours, not including stops. However, for lunch we stopped at The Rivers Edge Cafe in Confluence, PA which was about 35 minutes away from Fallingwater. At the time we went, it had literally JUST opened for the season that weekend and so when we got there we were the only people there (though people did trickle in by the time we left). This cafe, which is also a bed and breakfast, is situated on the river of course- so it offers really pretty views if you sit outside. I ordered the Chicken Salad Sandwich ($6.95) which is made with apples, raisins and walnuts. I really love chicken salad- and this was just perfect. It was a hefty sandwich, and tasted extremely fresh. These were served with house made kettle chips which were perfectly crunchy and seasoned. I also tried the sweet potato fries which came with chipotle sauce ($3.95) and was very happy. It was a large order, so feel free to share. Overall, I really loved this place and I thought this was such a gem to find on the way to Fallingwater. If you ever head there (or even towards Deep Creek, MD, since that is also close by) I would urge you to check this place out.

As I said, this was also a camping trip and we ended up staying at the Scarlett Knob Campgrounds which was about 2 minutes away from Fallingwater. I don't really have much experience with camping grounds, but I thought this was on a really gorgeous piece of land. It also had a lot of space for each lot and the porta potty's were in great condition (very important!!!!!) For dinner that night we made foil packets of all sorts of meats and veggies, made with an exorbitant amount of olive oil and spices might I add, into the fire to cook. This was DELICIOUS. My good friends took care of all the food and had it chopped and ready to go in our cooler- it was a great idea and incredibly filling.

Our foil packets cooking in our fire pit!

The next day we went to the Ohiopyle State Park to check out the river and waterfall and then headed back home after stopping in at a restaurant called Glisan's Restaurant. I had read a couple of reviews that kept talking about how amazing their pies were. The restaurant itself wasn't much to look at. It's basically what you would expect of a local diner in a very small town- very plain, full of locals and increda-cheap. I got the Glisanburger which wasn't really anything special- it just had cheese on it and you could get the regular sort of toppings. I wasn't impressed, but I was looking forward to their pies. They DID have a very long list of pies, but for some reason I ended up choosing the Huckleberry Pie (loving huckleberries is probably the reason). This pie was NOT GOOD. It wasn't warm, it didn't really taste like anything, and the filling was too gelatinous - GROSS. I could only have one bite! What a huge disappointment. However, my one friend had a coconut cream pie that she loved, and my other enjoyed her peanut butter pie. So really, I am just a terrible pie-chooser.

All in all this was a REALLY fun trip. Fallingwater is incredible, I enjoyed camping more than I thought, I loved my foil dinner, and thought the River's Edge Cafe was super cute!

Yay for a fun weekend trip!

TRIP INFO
203 Yough Street, Confluence PA 15424
814-395-5059

1491 Mill Run Road, Mill Run, PA 15464
724-329-8501

RR 381, Ohiopyle, PA 15470
724-329-5200

Ohioplye State Park
124 Main St, Ohiopyle, PA 15470
724-329-8591

Glisan's Restaurant
4625 National Pike, Markleysburg, PA 15459
724-329-4636




Did you enter the contest yet? Don't forget to enter before July 14th at 11:59PM!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin