Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Falls, Mt Washington

Tuna salad sandwich and a mocha latte

UPDATE: THIS RESTAURANT IS NOW CLOSED

So, I'm kind of obsessed with this place.

I went to The Falls one day for lunch, and I loved it so much I went back the next week.  This NEVER happens to me.  When I told my husband, he was shocked - he knows I don't usually do repeats that soon!  But that's how much I like this place.  The food is good, yes, but I also just love the atmosphere.  It is a cafe in the heart of Mt. Washington, and it's a perfect place for lounging on couches, chatting with friends over lunch/brunch/breakfast and coming for dinner and drinks! 

I've only been there for lunch, but you can BET that I will be going back soon for dinner.

The first time I went for lunch, I unfortunately had a BBQ to go to that evening, so I wanted something small - I chose the $6 tuna salad sandwich which came with pickles and chips.  $6! The tuna salad itself was nothing memorable, but good enough.  The chips were kettle cooked and I really loved them. My friend, however, very smartly chose The Magical Pig ($9) sandwich - Sliced balsamic and garlic Pork on baguette with caramelized onion and creamy goat cheeese, served with fries.  OMG, I took one bite of it and I was SO JEALOUS, it was SO GOOD.  I also ordered a mocha latte - look at how pretty it is!  It was creamy and very chocolatey and a TERRIBLE idea for the hot day that it was.  But I bet it would be wonderful to sit there and sip during the winter.  I almost wished that they had one of those large cafe style mugs that barely fit in your hands - I think that would suit this place well.

Blackened Chicken Club

So the next time I came, I couldn't want to try something new.  My mum and I came on a Saturday around 1pm, and unfortunately did not realize it was Brunch, and therefore the menu was a bit limited (though the pancakes looked divine).  However, the manager was SO gracious and kind and allowed our server to grab us a Lunch menu!  So this time I chose the Blackened Chicken Club ($9) - Toasted white bread with bacon (i substituted turkey bacon), lettuce, tomato, onion and cilantro aioli, served with fries.  YUM.  I loved this sandwich and was so happy I chose this.  The cilantro aioli really made this sandwich because it went so well with the blackened chicken.  I thought the amount of food was perfect too, and I really loved their fries. 

Grilled Portobello Flatbread

My mum chose the Grilled Portobello Mushroom Flatbread ($9) - with Feta cheese, grilled red onion and sauteed vegetables.  This is such a good option for my vegetarian friends!  The portobello was cooked perfectly, and I loved the tang of the feta cheese with the grilled vegetables.  My mum really enjoyed this, and I enjoyed taking bites!

There's just something so comforting about this place, and I bet at night it's super fun as well.  I can't wait to go back. I think next time I'm going to go back for dinner and get the Bison Burger with Fries ($9).  LOVE those prices!!!!

Oh, p.s. they also carry my Wine of The Moment - Ponga Sauvignon Blanc.  For a sauvignon blanc, it's surprisingly fruity and perfect for a hot day. 

The Falls on Urbanspoon

p.s. Don't forget to enter my $50 gift certificate giveaway to Talara!  It ends THIS Friday.  PLEASE leave me a contact email if you enter!  If you're interested click here

3 comments:

Alexander D. Mitchell IV said...

And if you like beer, the beer selection's good, too: ten taps of quality stuff, though still short on bottles for the moment:

http://beerinbaltimore.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-beer-place-falls-mt-washington.html

Elizabeth said...

That food sounds really good! Looking forward to seeing you at great grapes nakiya!!

Chris B. said...

Nakiya, it's Chris B. Katherine and I went there for dinner one night and it was beyond awful. Food was either so overdone it was inedible or almost uncooked.

Agree with Sandy though, nice craft beer selection for good prices at happy hr.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin