Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Donna's Cafe, University of Maryland Hospital

My mama was able to have lunch with me yesterday and chose Donna’s Café in the University of Maryland hospital.  Though I had stopped over for a mocha latte before (which ended badly ahaha), I hadn’t eaten lunch there, so I was excited to eat and chat with my mama, of course!

This was such a pleasant lunch!  We were in and out in 45 mins, our server was very friendly, and the food was great!  If you can try and forget that you’re dining in a hospital, it’s actually a really nice place to meet someone for lunch if you’re in the area.

Not surprisingly, I chose the chicken salad sandwich ($7.95) with sundried tomato mayonnaise, which I thought brought an entirely different flavor to my staple, one that I liked A LOT.  The chunks of chicken were hearty, and the sourdough bread was light.  It was all a perfect combination.  One strange thing was that half of my sandwich had a balsamic dressing, presumably from the greens?  Though it didn’t make the sandwich taste bad…it did make the piece of bread incredibly soggy, so it became a bit of a mess.  Also, they aren’t messing around with the amount of chicken salad they give you – prepare to have a lot fall onto your plate J  The accompanying roasted red and sweet potatoes were a nice touch, I especially liked the rosemary red potatoes, which is always a great flavor combo.

Next time I’d like to try the chicken salad SALAD with pistachios, raisin couscous, greens and a raspberry vinaigrette.  That just sounds delightful!

Donna's at Umms on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

theminx said...

I used to get the pistachio chicken salad at the Donna's in The Gallery - it was always terrific. But the last time I had it was at UMMS and it wasn't so fab. While you had a good sandwich and service this time, next time you might not be so lucky. I find the kitchen at UMMS to be very erratic.

And the coffee sucks. Once upon a time (like 15 years ago) it was great.

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

ahahaha that mocha I had still gives me nightmares. My sandwich was great this time though!

Jenny B said...

I just came from Donna's and had the Salmon Filet salad. It was $12.95 so it's like the most expensive thing on the menu, but honestly it was worth it. Their pesto vinaigrette is great and they provided a HUGE portion of salmon for the salad. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin