Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Morning Haiku


I wish I could cook
Without recipes, just my
Imagination


Do you have that ability?  Then I envy you.

My parents are both masters at throwing things together and creating the most fabulous meal.  I simply can't do that.  I realize they have a lot more experience cooking than I do, but I am still hard on myself about not having this ability. 

I know I'll get it someday!  I guess the key is to keep cooking new recipes and then cooking them AGAIN with small changes.  Right?  Until then, I'll continue to cook using all the recipes I've collected and just try and perfect those!

By the way, thanks for all your comments on my cake post - I appreciate your encouragement to try again and I've saved all the new recipes you sent me.  I WILL try again!  Cake will not beat me yet!

2 comments:

theminx said...

Actually, I think the secret is to taste as many things as possible and remember flavor combinations that appeal to you. Also, read cookbooks even if you don't plan on cooking from them immediately. And learn cooking techniques. Eventually, you'll taste something that will trigger the memory of a recipe you've read, and then you'll go home and whip something up! At least, that's how it works for me.

Dara Bunjon said...

Do you think that Jean George came out of the gate at the top of his game? No! Cooking comes with time, trying foods, figuring out techniques and working with flavors you like. I'm still figuring out and learning and we know I'm as old as the hills. As Obe Wan Kanobi said "patience."

Baking, new game - new techniques - that is a science. You will soon meet a master so get your questions ready.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin