Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

House of Kabob, Parkville

For our date night last week, Dan and I went to House of Kabob in Parkville. We both LOVE kabobs, or really just any type of Middle Eastern food, so we were happy to give a new place a try (plus, we had a coupon for a free entrée courtesy of The Entertainment Book!!!)


Our appetizer sampler- what a great deal!

We ordered the appetizer sampler for $6.99 which allowed us to pick 3 appetizers. We choose the hummus, kashk o’ bademjan (dip made of sautéed eggplant mixed with garlic and onion) and stuffed grape leaves. The sampler came with pita bread, and we got a second plate of pita without asking!

The hummus was very creamy and I could definitely taste the garlic and lemon. The kashk o’bademjan was hands down my favorite, Dan’s too. It was such a wonderful dip – you could really taste the roasted flavor of the eggplant. The stuffed grape leaves were not my favorite, I think it is an acquired taste, but I suppose I'm not a fan of the mint and dill combination.
In the forefront is the kabob platter, and the fesenjune is in the middle. Look at that rice!

For dinner I ordered the chicken fesenjan ($10.99) which is described on their website as sautéed chicken tenders and walnuts simmered in a sweet and sour pomegranate sauce. This actually doesn’t really describe it well. The sauce is made of walnuts and pomegranate sauce, which gives it a thick nutty consistency from the blending of both ingredients. The chicken was a bit dry and quite plain, but the sauce was sweet and well made.

$10.99 for this dish is a steal, as it is usually much more expensive at other Iranian restaurants. However, (and I REALLY hate comparing restaurants) I would probably go back to Orchard Market and Café if I craved this dish, though it is more expensive ($16-17). I must say, I was able to make this into 3 meals since there was so much food and after the chicken soaked in the sauce overnight, it was much more flavorful!

Dan ordered the Koobideh (ground beef kabob) and Chicken kabob combination platter for ($12.75). The platter was immense! I’ve never seen so much rice and meat at a kabob place before!! The koobideh was my absolute favorite. It was perfectly spiced and grilled. The chicken was good, but I’m not really a grilled chicken fan – but Dan is, and he loved it.

We were both WAY too stuffed to even consider dessert, but if we had room we both agreed that the Akhbar Mashti ($2.95), or Persian ice cream mixed with fresh cream, saffron and rose water would have been our only choice since that and the Faloodeh (lemon flavored ice with floating sweet noodles- so says the website) are the only options made in-house.

Next time, I think we are both going to stick to kabob platters, especially the Koobideh. YUM! Also, it's a BYOB (with no corkage fee), so that's a great plus as well!

House of Kabob on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Work in progress said...

I <3 Koobideh. That looks insanely delicious.

SE said...

after reading your post..i think i'll have to plan for a visit

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

Seriously, the Koobideh was amazing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin