Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

TYLER FLORENCE AND GRAPES AND A RECIPE!!!!

 ADORABLE GRAPE COSTUMES and TF after throwing the first pitch

Last night, the California Grape Commission and Chef Tyler Florence (who is celebrating his 15th year with the Food Network!!!) came to visit Camden Yards to generate awareness about healthy eating at ballparks – with California Grapes of course!


  ME WITH TYLER FLORENCE OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Tyler Florence threw out the first pitch, and then I was lucky enough to be able to meet him!  He was only able to stay for a short time, but he still had time to chomp down a ton of grapes and tell us what he was up to:
  • He has a new book coming out in October - Family Meal: Bringing People Together Never Tasted Better.  He said this was his biggest book to date, and yet it only took him about two months to put together!!!!!
  • He has a new show coming out The Great Food Truck Race which airs August 14th on the Food Network Channel.  Basically, seven REAL food truck teams try to sell the most food each week in a different town, and the one that loses will go home.  The one that stays afloat will eventually win a $50,000 grand prize!!!!  There is already a Season 2 in the works, and I am hoping that a few of our very best food trucks can be in the running :)
  • He will soon have 3 restaurants to take care of in California- one which has already opened: Wayfare Tavern, in San Francisco.  OMG it actually has a dessert menu!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Chef Florence, I know you did that especially for me.  Baked Alaska?  YES PLEASE! 
  • He has his own WINE 
  • Oh, and did I mention he has a wife and two kids?????????  This guy is BUSY BUSY BUSY!!!!! 
  • He said that the next "big thing" after cupcakes is going to be Pies.  Mmmmmm.  I thought it was going to be the Macaron, but I'll take pies.  Oh yes, I will.
  • He also stopped by Chap's Pit Beef for lunch, which I thought was great and very Baltimore...though I may be making that up since I've never been there......what do you think?
Once Tyler (do you see that picture above?  That makes us on first name basis LOL) left to get back to his family, it was time to relax a bit and eat a ton more California grapes and try some hot dogs with Grape Relish.  What do you think - would you ever give up your pickle relish for grape relish instead?  I would urge you to try this - it's tangy and VERY refreshing.  I had it with no other condiments, though I was told mustard would go well with it as well.

I may have taken the worst picture of all time (I'm sure you've come to expect nothing but the best from me, right? hahahahah), but here is my lovely hot dog with the grape relish, the recipe for which follows:

Ballpark Dogs with Tangy Grape Relish
Recipe from:
California Table Grape Commission
 
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: about 5 to 7 minutes

Tangy Grape Relish
1/2 cup each: diced red and green California seedless grapes
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1 clove garlic, minced

Ballpark Dogs
8 turkey franks
Whole wheat hot dog buns
Honey mustard
Tangy Grape Relish: Stir together first 6 ingredients (through garlic); set aside.

Ballpark Dogs: Grill sausages over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally, or until nicely charred and heated through. Place buns on grill, cut side down, and cook for a minute or so to toast.
Place sausage in buns and drizzle with honey mustard. Using a slotted spoon, top with grape relish.


 mmmmm I munched on these all night.  No one needs to force me to eat delicious grapes!


This was a free event generously provided by the California Grape Commission.  No one paid me to tell you how much I loved the grape relish or TF - I just do!

3 comments:

EastCoastMatt said...

that's pretty awesome you got to hang out with tyler florence.

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

Thanks, Matthew! It was super cool! p.s. Have you been to Talara yet??

strawberriesinparis said...

awesome!! so jealous you got to meet Tyler! I love his show and his recipes. They are always good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin